London arms fair: Pray, protest, worship, resist
With the London arms fair set to begin on Tuesday 10 September, Christians across the UK and beyond will mark Sunday 8 September as Stop the Arms Trade Day of Prayer.
Here at Christianity Uncut, we’re delighted to be working with other members of the Stop the Arms Fair coalition to resist this evil event.
Wherever you are, you can contribute to the struggle against the arms trade.
We have a few suggestions. Feel free to add your own!
- Pray for the arms dealers, for those campaigning against the arms fair and those that don’t know about it. Pray for an end to the arms trade.
- Tell a friend or colleague about the arms fair and why you’re against it.
- Mark the Day of Prayer in your church or other group. The CAAT Christian Network have produced some prayer resources for the day. We have also published a liturgy of exorcism and repentance that you can adapt for your own church or context.
- Join the main protest against the arms fair, starting at 12.00 noon at Custom House DLR station on Sunday 8 September, including people of many religions and none.
- Join the Christian act of worship and resistance, including an exorcism, at 4.00pm on Sunday 8 September.
- Join the multifaith silent vigil at the arms fair at 6.30pm on Monday 9 September.
- Write to your MP or local paper about the arms fair, which is subsidised with taxpayers’ money despite the austerity agenda.
- Attend one of the many other protests against the arms fair over the next week.
- Join an action in your local area.
- Send a message of support from your church, or personally, to the Campaign Against Arms Trade, Stop the Arms Fair coalition and/or Christianity Uncut.
Many thanks for all the support and encouragement. May God guide us all.